It’s easy to remember to crank up the A/C and turn on some fans for our own comfort during hot weather. But what about those beloved furry family members who are often left home alone during the day? How do you know when your pet is too hot and uncomfortable? And when should you leave the A/C running?
The most important thing to remember is that when the hot weather hits, it’s vital to keep your pets comfortable and safe. Pets can feel the extreme heat and humidity during the summer, and they combat the heat by panting or shedding. According to the ASPCA, when the weather is hot and humid, pets have a harder time cooling themselves which can lead to heat stress and exhaustion.
It’s recommended that you make sure that the air in your home is circulating by using fans, or better yet, leave your air conditioner on and set to a regulated temperature. Ideally, your thermostat should be set to 78-80˚.
Here are a few additional tips and things to look out for while caring for your pets this summer:
– Make sure that your pets always have access to clean, fresh water when it’s hot or humid. Pets can get dehydrated very quickly.
– Cats are typically more heat tolerant then dogs. However, the longer the fur, the more uncomfortable the animal.
– Walk or run with dogs in the early mornings or evenings. Never take your dog out for a run in high heat.
– Keep a close eye on pets that are elderly, overweight or struggle with chronic illness and disease. Pets with special needs or health problems are more likely to suffer from heat stroke.
– Breeds with short-noses, such as pugs, bulldogs, and Persian cats, may be at a greater risk of overheating. Their muzzle length prevents them from being able to pant effectively. These breeds should be kept in an air conditioned environment.
The easiest way to ensure your air conditioner is consistently cooling your home, and at a temperature suited for pets, is by utilizing a fully programmable thermostat. With the Carrier Digital Thermostat from Columbia Heating and Cooling, you’ll be able to enjoy full control of your home’s air temperature throughout the entire year – keeping your pets comfortable and safe, no matter the outside weather. We’re offering FREE programmable thermostat for any all new installation that includes a furnace/air conditioner. Give us a call today to set up an appointment with one of our heating and cooling experts.